Thursday, February 2, 2012

My worried little boy

Damon was watching some videos on the computer tonight. They were Imaginext off of either PBS kids website or Fisher-price website and I think one of them was about fires. Anyway I was downstairs coloring with the girls when Damon came down with "the look". It's the look of I'm about to cry, but trying really hard to hold it in.  He asked me if our house was going to catch on fire. I told him no, that our house was perfectly safe.  I could see that wasn't good enough for him, but I knew if we talked about it more he would get worked up. It happened anyway. He heard a fire truck siren and said, "Mom if you have a fire in your house, you can't breathe and you have to call 911". I told him if you crawled on the floor under the smoke that you could get out of the house okay. I then told him that he would have to tell the people on the phone our address and then asked him what it was. He tried 5 different times to get it out, but kept choking up. He came over to me and had tears in his eyes.  I asked him what was wrong and he couldn't hold it in anymore. He started sobbing about the house catching fire. It broke my heart.  He sat on my lap like a little baby does and laid his head on my shoulder and cried. I rocked him back and forth for about 10 minutes.  I enjoyed those 10 minutes very much. It's not often that he holds still like that. He was okay after that. I told him if he wanted he could sleep in my bed tonight since Tyler is on call. That seemed to calm him.  I distracted him by having him draw a picture for me. He loves to draw war pictures, so he drew me "a castle war picture". 


So of course if Damon's sleeping in my bed, Andee has to too. Where am I going to sleep you might ask?  I still have no idea and it's after 11pm.

People don't get to see the sensitive side of Damon.  He is very sensitive and sweet. He loves his little sisters so much and showers me with kisses, notes hugs, and "I love you's" all day everyday.  I love him!

3 comments:

Brooke Bailey said...

Gotta love little tender-hearted boys!

Debra and JD said...

Hi Shaylee, hope you and your sweet family are doing well. I wanted to share something that might help Damon feel safe. W hen I was young I can remember my father giving our home a blessing. When I was older I realized that he "dedicated" out home. Ask Tyler about this, it is quite beautiful and will bring peace to your home. You won't need anyone else to help, Tyler will use his Priesthood to bless his family, and that is a wonderful lesson for your children too. Each time we moved we would have a special home evening and give this blessing. Hope this helps sweet Damon.

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

Hey Debra,
That is a great idea. I think it would make our kids feel safe and like our house is an escape from the world. Thanks!